Board Members:Present: Greg Pridegon, Delores (DeeDee) Kenniebrew, Denise Foster, Edna Snowden, Diane Pope, Eugene Tompkins, Evelyn Simpson, Helen Halton, Wolf Halton, Joan Davis, Johnnie Zanders, Nylas Forster and Sandra Yound
Officer Absent: Melissa Johnson
Quorum present? Yes
Others Present:via Phone: Brandon Frank (legal), Dell Long
Other/Guest: Cathie Evans, Consulting Accountant
Board Meeting Minutes prepared by: Evelyn Simpson
Proceedings:· Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Chair, Greg Pridgeon
· (Last month's) meeting minutes were amended and approved
Chief Executive's Report:- Recommends that if we add a new facility prospect review by the end of this month, the organization review believes the newly added site location meets the museums criteria. After brief discussion, Board agreed.
- Board member, Johnny Zanders, and Nylas Forster attended the Atlanta Blues Association's Talent Showcase in Atlanta last week and gave a brief extemporaneous presentation. Both plan to attend the event next year to represent our organization. After brief discussion, Board congratulated Zanders and asked him to pass on their congratulations to Nylas as well.
- DeeDee asserts that our organization must ensure its name is associated with whatever materials are distributed during the event next year. The organization should generate memberships where possible from the materials, too.
Finance Committee report provided by Treasurer, Edna Snowden:- Edna explained that consultant, Steve Owens, reviewed the organization's bookkeeping procedures and found them to be satisfactory, in preparation for the upcoming yearly financial audit. Funds recommends that our company ensure the auditor provides a management letter along with the audit financial report.
· - Owens reviewed highlights, trends and issues from the balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement. Issues include that high accounts receivables require Finance Committee attention to policies and procedures to ensure our organization receives more payments on time. After brief discussion of the issues and suggestions about how to ensure receiving payments on time, MOTION to accept financial statements; seconded and passed.
Museum Location Development Committee's report provided by Chair, W.P. Rader:- Rader reminded the Board of the scheduled site visit coming up in three months, and provided a drafted site-plan schedule for board review. MOTION to accept the site visit agenda; seconded and passed.
- Rader presented members with a draft of the reworded By-laws paragraph that would allow members to conduct actions over electronic mail. Rader suggested review and a resolution to change the By-laws accordingly. DeeDee suggested that Rader first seek legal counsel to verify if the proposed change is consistent with state statute. Swanson agreed to accept this action and notify members of the outcome in the next Board meeting.
Other business:- Rader noted that he was working with board member, Eugene Tompkins, to help develop an information management systems plan, and that two weeks ago he (Rader) had mailed members three resumes from consultants to help with the plan. In the mailing, Rader asked members for their opinions to help select a consultant. Rader asked members for their opinions. (NOTE: Wolf Halton noted that he was also a computer consultant and was concerned about conflict of interest in his Board role regarding this selection, and asked to be ABSTAINED from this selection. Members agreed.) The majority of members agreed on Lease-or-Fly Consultants. MOTION to use Lease-or-Fly Consultants; seconded and passed.
- Rader announced that he had recently scheduled a visit to the Blues Hall of Fame in Memphis.
Assessment of the Meeting:- DeeDee noted that the past three meetings have run over the intended three-hour time slot by half an hour. She asked members to be more mindful and focused during discussions, and suggested that the Board Development Chair take an action to identify solutions to this issue. Chair, Greg, agreed.
· Meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.
· Minutes submitted by Secretary, Evelyn Simpson.
· PLEASE NOTE THESE MINUTES ARE A TEST DESIGN.