Building on a Solid Foundation
The Southern Museum of Music seeks business, academic and civic leaders, who are passionate about the music industry and investing time in development of our museum dedicated to southern music. The Southern Museum of Music’s mission is to educate the public, preserve the contributions, historical artifacts, while recognizing all who gave and are giving of their talents to the music whose roots originated in the southern United States. Well-connected individuals are needed who can help the Museum build its internal capacity to support growth and stability as a world-class institution.
The following is a list of skill sets needed for our board;
Researcher who can help document the impact of museum educational programs utilizing strategic partnerships at schools and universities. Expert who can provide testimonials about the benefits of museum educational programs and can guide the development of services we plan to provided.
Individual[s] who have experience overseeing financial operations and creation of P&Ls
Well-connected liaison to potential partners among elected or appointed government officials, foundations, service agencies, non-profits, music industry representitives and national music networks.
Small business owner who has addressed the challenges of growth while remaining financially stable. Creative individuals who can help develop the museum’s existing or potential earned revenue streams.
Individual[s] who enjoy creating fundraising events or soliciting others for worthy causes.
Professional who can support the museum’s branding and marketing efforts, or who can garner publicity in print or other media.
Attorney who can oversee compliance with organizational standards and regulations, and advise on intellectual property, contracts, landlord-lease-purchase, and other legal matters that arise.
HOW TO JOIN OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
Authority and Responsibility
The Board of Directors is the governing authority of the Southern Museum of Music, a nonprofit organization. As a member of the Board, a Director acts in a position of trust for the corporation and is responsible for the effective governance of the organization.
Qualifications and Skills
Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Board governance: academic, accountant, community builder, entrepreneur, PR/marketing, and legal.
Directors are nominated by the Membership and elected by the board. Directors serve for a two-year term.
01. Commitment to the mission and work of the organization
02. Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Board governance.
03. Willingness to serve on at least one committee and actively participate; attendance at monthly board meetings, one annual meeting, and periodic committee conference calls or meetings.
04. An estimated time commitment of ten hours per month, (includes Board preparation, meeting and committee meeting time).
05. Stay informed on the programs and services provided by the Southern Museum of Music and publicly support them.
Prepare for and participate in the discussions and the deliberations of the Board.
07. Lead by example with Southern Museum of Music’s fundraising efforts.
Make an annual monetary contribution that is your most significant charitable giving while on the board.
09. Be an active and contributing members of the Southern Museum of Music.
01. Governing Southern Museum of Music in accordance with the museum’s bylaws.
02. Promote Southern Museum of Musics mission and help grow audience and membership through community networking.
03. Cultivate and/or initiate relationships with prospective donors and supporters.
04. Establish overall strategic direction, long and short‐term goals, annual objectives and priorities for the Museum.
05. Demonstrate leadership and commitment to organizational values.
06. Be aware of and disclose any personal and/or professional conflict of interest.
01. The pleasure and satisfaction of establishing a music industry legacy by helping to preserve the soutern music’s historic artifacts, history and culture for citizens and visitors to learn about for years to come.
02. The joys of new friendships among like minded individuals.
03. The fun and excitement of building a new world class museum for the music industry.
How to Apply:
Attend one of our scheduled meetings and become an active member.